Christian thoughts

Random thoughts from a Christian perspective. Everything from family, religion, politics, outdoors, etc. Let me know if there's a topic you want me to address!

Name:
Location: Kansas City, Kansas, United States

I live in K.C. with my wife, Kim, and our 5 kids (which we homeschool). I've been a believer in Jesus Christ since 1993.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Civil Rights vs. the Bible

I was reflecting this week upon the death of the civil rights pioneer Rosa Parks. As I pondered the stand she took on the bus that day 50 years ago, I asked myself one question. In light of the many exhortations within Scripture for Christians to humble themselves and to consider others as more important than ourselves, should Ms. Parks have given up her seat even though there was an injustice involved? Steve Camp has addressed the idea of "rights" for Christians in several of the posts on his blog. I'm wondering now if the entire idea of the civil rights movement was ever "Biblically Correct"? (A dangerous question for a white man to ask.)

Just a thought.

NOTE: Please do not mistake what I'm saying here. I am in no way stating that what came out of the Civil Rights Movement was wrong. I truly believe that every human being is valued in God's eyes and that no one should be mistreated for any reason, least of all because of skin color or gender. I am merely pondering whether the Civil Rights Movement and the idea of civil disobedience espoused by Dr. King was a biblical movement or if it was in violation of Paul's exhortation to submit to those in authority as they have been put there by God.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you know the authorities weren't put there by free will?

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home